Is The Breed Right For You?
Experience Owning an Olde English Bulldoggies
- Find a Reputable Breeder: This is your first and most important step in owning an Old English Bulldoggie. Recently I spoke with a lady who was looking for a OEB and in fact had placed a deposit with two other breeders only to lose both through scams. Ask a lot of questions, ask for references and ask for written documentation on deposits and final sale.
- They Are Stubborn: This breed is different from any other kind out there. They have a personality of their own and are very strong-headed, bordering on stubborn.
- Train Them Early: The are a very intelligent and strong-minded dog, early training is a must. They are loyal and very willing to please so establishing the leader of the pack is the key. You need to be a stronger owner and pack leader with a stronger presence.
- Be Prepared for Drool: This breed is can be slobbery. They are not extremely slobbery and it depends on the dog. None of my dogs are slobbery and only slobber when they know they are going to get fed or receive a treat.
- Teach Them Manners: Because these dogs are large and strong, that’s something to keep in mind for why you want a well-trained dog. Think about going over to someone’s house who has a jumpy dog. With a smaller breed, it’s not a big deal. However, with a 50-80-pound Olde English Bulldoggies it can be a big problem.
- Lap Dogs: This breed loves attention and affection and they will what to get in your lap or simple lay next to you on the couch, if you allow dogs on your coach.
How to Select the Right Dog for Your Lifestyle
Before acquiring a new canine companion, it’s important to know what kind of breed you want and what kind of lifestyle you want to live with your pet. If you’re looking for a puppy to go on long runs with you, the Olde English Bulldoggies is not for you. While they are healthy, active, and agile, their body type is just not conducive to long runs. They are a dog you can take to the park and have fun with outdoors, providing it’s not extreme temperatures. They are also great for lounging around the house with.